- The Véloroute des Bleuets is one of the finest examples of cooperation in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean. This project, strongly supported by the various stakeholders of the regional community, includes 15 municipalities as well as the Montagnais community of Mashteuiatsh and the Corporation of the bicycle path "Tour du Lac Saint-Jean." This project would not have been possible without the participation of the Government of Quebec.
- This project began in the early 1980s. Several stakeholders were then pointing out the potential benefits of such a recreational touristic infrastructure.
- During a socio-economic conference in 1991, the proposal of a bicycle route construction was accepted as a pilot project in Quebec.
- In 1995, the Government of Quebec along with the city of Alma announced the construction of the Véloroute des Bleuets. Construction began in 1996 and ended in the summer of 2000.
- Véloroute des Bleuets is part of Quebec's development plan of a cycling circuit. It was the first project announced as part of the Route Verte (provincial project totaling 4,300 km). To build a bike route of this magnitude, investments of more than $ 13 million were necessary.
- Open to cyclists since 2000, the Véloroute des Bleuets now generates economic spinoffs of $ 9.5 million in the region.
Our mission at the Véloroute des Bleuets is to manage, develop and link the sections of the circuit together. We wish to enhance the users's experience of the Véloroute des Bleuets by emphasizing on the collaboration of the community, sustainable development and innovation.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CORPORATION
- Develop and disseminate knowledge about customers, competitors and best management practices in cycling circuits;
- Manage the hospitality services and information available to cyclists in partnership with various organizations;
- Supervise / coordinate the operations in close collaboration with municipal authorities and improve the cycling circuit and associated circuits;
- Plan and manage the infrastructures in collaboration with associated municipalities;
- Provide incentives for the partners of the Véloroute des Bleuets for their support of the 2015 vision;
- Promote the Véloroute des Bleuets brand and experience with regional, national and international clients;
- Manage funding activities.